Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lake of the Lost Spirits (or Lost Lake)

Our hiking trail
Orchards in the shadow of Mt. Adams



Lavender fields in the shadow of Mt. Hood



This was our view this morning at the beginning of our hike. Yes, our hike. Biking is not enough for these folks. We need to hike as well. Three miles. On a dirt trail. Around this entire lake. It actually was very nice. It is called Lost Lake and sits high in the mountains of Oregon. The mountain in the picture is Mt. Hood, only one of two snow-capped mountains that we saw today.


After our three-mile hike, we had a fantastic picnic lunch by the lake, with wraps, homemade guacamole and black bean and corn salad. Yesterday and today we had fresh Rainer cherries that are out of this world delicious.


Now for the biking part of our day, in case we might get lazy while on vacation. We left from Lost Lake and descended 13 miles. My rims were on fire by the time we got to the bottom. But it was a fantastic ride. There were a few hills that rolled through thousands of acres of orchards, mostly pears and cherries, but some peaches and apples, as well. There were also a few vineyards along the way, too. All the while, either Mt. Hood or Mt. Adams was sitting in front or beside of us. Since I have no sense of direction, I usually didn't know which mountain it was, but it didn't matter as both were spectacular. At one point I remarked to Rob that it seemed that Mt. Hood should be behind us and he said that it was and that I was looking at a different mountain. And he didn't call me stupid, although he may have muttered something.


At the bottom of the Lost Lake mountain, there is a lavender farm that, amazingly, is on top of one of the few vertical roads known to man-kind. And, amazingly, our guides thought we should climb it. Not with a ladder, but with a bike. It was 1.6 miles as the crow flies, but I am sure that all my zig-zagging added on about 5 extra miles. Worth every minute, though. A beautiful field of lavender in full bloom and Mt. Hood in front of us and Mt. Adams behind. We were staring at the tops of both mountains, we were that high. I was waiting for the Von Trapps to come singing across the field.


So, back down another mountain. Rims smoking again. I am afraid I am going to get a bill from Sojourn for the brakes!


More rolling hills, many more orchards. Really, the most spectacular scenery. We made it back to Hood River and stopped at Mike's Ice Cream. I drank a well-deserved Fresh Local Strawberry malted shake -- fantastic!!


We had another few miles to the hotel. On the way, we had a great view of the river. Hood River is the wind sport capital of the World! So the river was full of kite-surfers and windsurfers. We are discussing take a lesson on Thursday.


I lost my chain on the way back, so I was the sweep for the trip. Total miles: 38. Total flat miles: 0


Dinner was "on our own" tonight and a group of us went into town and ate at the Three Rivers Restaurant. It was really great. Everyone on the trip is really enjoying the local wines. I am not indulging as I am afraid I won't be able to complete the next ride, anyway. I can't believe we have three more days of riding. I am getting really tired and my legs feel like concrete. The guides are so great that I am sure they will pick up the pieces if I literally fall apart on the ride, though. Kurt makes custom wheels for a living and Rob trains Olympic athletes. I haven't gotten an invite to his academy, yet, but I am sure one will come before the end of the trip. I am certain he is that impressed.


The other group at our hotel is Certis, seller of biopesticides. One of their products is Seduce, a bait for earwigs and snails. They are talking a lot about teamwork and selling. Of course, I am eavesdropping and making fun of them later. Not nice, I know. But, I am here with a bunch of strangers and I can't make fun of them, so what choice do I have?


I am afraid I am getting a little delirious, though. Tonight, Denise mentioned that her New Years Resolution was to give up tailgating. I couldn't believe that was a serious problem, though. I mean that should only be a problem for a few weeks of the year, right? But, she explained that she is trying not to drive too close to other cars. She explained it very nicely and didn't call me stupid, either.


Tomorrow, we have an easy 35 mile ride in the morning and then white water rafting in the afternoon. Lest we not have enough to do.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a really wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing trip and you are having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete