Friday, August 5, 2011

Things I've Learned

Awesome ride!!
Awesome views!!



Our Awesome Guides, Rob and Kurt





We had to be packed and out of our rooms before breakfast today. It was really nice staying in the same place for the last four nights. Our ride left from the hotel and snaked through Hood River and headed East (I think). To get out of town, we had to climb a series of switchbacks that we descended a few days ago. Honestly, I would much rather climb them than descend. At the top of the hill, we entered a bike path that was actually the old highway running through the Gorge. When the new highway was built, the road was closed to motorized traffic and preserved for biking, running, walking, etc. This part of the ride was listed on Bicycling magazine's "Top 10 Rides" in 2009. It was stunning. Perfect paving, rolling hills and awesome scenery! Some of our group saw a gopher snake on the trail as well as carvings in the tunnel from some goose hunters stranded in 1921 (they survived.) There are actually two climate zones on this trail, which is easily seen because the Ponderosa Pines give way to various fir trees, including the Douglas Fir. But don't get me started on those trees!! Wow, did I I get educated on this trip or what?
We passed a cherry orchard as well as an apricot orchard. I stopped to pick some of the cherries -- again, awesome!
We headed up hill to Rowena Crest (probably named for Sir Walter Scott's characters in Ivanhoe) where the wind blew about 40 miles per hour! It nearly knocked me over! Next we headed down some switchbacks and on each turn, I had to pedal down hill because the wind was so strong!! No lie or even exaggeration!
If you check out Sojourn Bike Tours on Facebook, there are some good pictures posted. I plan to add some pictures to my blog when I have a working computer again, but I thought I'd end with a list of things I learned on my Sojourn Cycling Vacation:
1. Sojourn is an awesome company, always one step ahead to assure the perfect vacation.
2. Riding with a group makes you a better rider. It gives you a little competition and a little confidence.
3. Cue sheets and maps are really helpful if you just take the time to read them.
4. You better not say "I eat hills for breakfast" until you've had breakfast in Oregon.
5. Cherries are best when you eat them right off the tree. They are still good from the super market; the season is short, so you should eat as many cherries as possible in the summer.
6. If you got to the top of the hill really fast, you probably missed a great view of the valley.
7. Gearing down is not a pride issue -- it's better for your legs and for your chain.
8. Never sit in the front of the raft. Sit in the back and get wet on your own terms.
9. Always say "YES" to ice cream!
10. Chocolate milk RULES as a recovery drink!

It was a great vacation, with super people, awesome scenery and fabulous guides. I highly recommend and can't wait to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment